Fish Chowder (makes 4 servings)
3 tablespoons butter (no substitute)
1 medium size yellow onion, peeled and minced
3 medium sized potatoes (red potatoes preferred) peeled and cut into ¼ inc cubes
½ cup hot water
1 lb. haddock or cod filet or any white flesh fish
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
paprika for garnish
How to make
1. Melt 2 Tablespoon butter in a large heavy saucepan over low heat
2. Add onions and sauté for 8-10 minutes, until golden NOT BROWN
3. Add potatoes and water, cover and simmer for 10 minutes
4. Add fish, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes. Adjust burner so mixture simmers not boils.
5. Off heat, flake fish with fork, add milk, salt and pepper. Cover and let stand for 1 hour to blend flavour.
6. Reheat slowly before eating for 10 minutes. Do not boil.
7. Ladle into bowl, sprinkle with paprika and dot with remaining butter.
8. Serve with crackers or hot crusty bread.