3-6 green chilies ( kalau nak pedas lagi tambah)
1 large sweet (white) onion (spring onions/red onions pun ok)
Grated rind(kulit limau) and juice of 2 limes, plus strips of lime rind to garnish.
8 ripe, firm tomatoes
Large bunch of corriander/cilantro/daun sup
1/4 teaspoon sugar
How to make the sauce?
1. Put the chilies on the skewer and roast over flame on gas fire until the skin blister and darken (not burn).
2. Place the roasted chillies in a strong plastic bag and tie the top of the bag to keep the steam in. set aside for 20 mins.
3. Chop onion finely and put in a bowl with lime juice and rind. (the lime juice will soften the onion)
4. Remove the chilies from the bag and peel off the skin. cut off the stalks, slit the chillies and scrape off the seeds. Chop the flesh and put aside.
5. Slit or cut a small cross at the base of each tomato. Put the tomatoes in a heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over it to cover.
6. Leave the tomatoes in the water for 3 minutes. Then pick them out and put into cold water.Drain. The skin will start to peel from the flesh. Remove the skin completely.
7. Dice the tomatoes and put into a bowl. Add the chopped onions together with the lime juice and rind mixture. Chop the corriander leaves finely and add to the mixture. Add the sugar, salt and the chillies.
8. Cover and chill 2-3 hours to allow flavours to blend.
9. Then it is ready to eat. will stay good in the fridge 3-4 days
This salsa sauce is good as a dip or "cicah" sause for corn chips (according to Mutiara) and possibly keropok or similar.